Signalling Security Timeline - Why Is Signalling Security Important?Posted Oct 2017
Mobile security in general, and signalling security in particular, is rapidly becoming a topic of great public interest, with more and more people, both good and bad, becoming aware of the vulnerabilities in the SS7 network.
The following timeline contains examples that show just how easy it is for fraudsters to infiltrate your mobile network, and demonstrates the importance of taking steps to protect it.
- 2008: First public disclosure - Tobias Engel, Chaos Computer Club, 'Locating Mobile Phones using SS7'
- July 2010: The Carmen Sandiego Project shows how an individual can be tracked
- December 2014: Chaos Communication Congress, Hamburg - Karsten Nohl
- April 2016: 60 Minutes show in Australia hacks Senator Nick Xenophon
- April 2016: 60 Minutes show in US hacks Congressman Ted Lieu
- May 2016: Researchers demo how to hack WhatsApp, Facebook & Telegram
- March 2017: Fraudulent exploits of SS7 on the rise: get your firewalls and filters in place now
- March 2017: Federal Communications Commission - US Congress reports SS7 recommendations
- May 2017: O2 Germany customers have their bank accounts emptied because of SS7 flaw